Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mariner Mother's Day 5K Race Recap


Warning: A LOT OF WORDS (hehe)

The morning started off with me being pretty tired since I stayed up late (1:00 a.m.), but it was all okay since the race start wasn't until 9. Elijah had stayed up late too, so he was still asleep as I walked into his room at 7:20. He rolled over onto his belly and stretched like a cat with his but up in the air and then I tickled him and he popped up with a smile.

We each ate a pop-tart - which I ended up tasting throughout the run - had a big glass of water and shared a banana. By 7:50 we were out the door. We got to Oceanside East High School a little after 8:00 & had to register. This is one of the first races I have not preregistered for. It is a small race though, so no big deal.

Elijah & I pre-race

The kids fun run was @ 8:30. Elijah was all smiles and ready to go. There were 7 kids running it and only one that looked about Elijah's age. The other 5 had to be 8 or older. So, not surprisingly, my little 4 year old was bringing up the rear and I was following behind him to encourage him.

All smiles and ready to go

A few more kids decided to join in

In the past Penquis CAP has hosted the race and now the high school boosters program has taken over. When Penquis CAP would host it, all the kids had a race bib on with the number 1 on it and all the kids received a plastic gold medal at the finish line. This was a nice little incentive/treat that the kids looked forward too. The high school boosters did not do that this year. I will definitely be making this suggestion to them for next year :) I know he would have had a huge smile receiving a medal after crossing the finish line. Instead, after coming in last, I think he was thinking, "Why did I do this?" lol

Crossing the finish line a little winded :)

All smiles now talking with my friend 
Viktorie & her little girl Klara

More friends pre-race: Steph, Doria w/ JJ
and Vik w/ Klara :)


The 5K was great. The course was simple and I like that. There were two small loops and part of it was out-and-back. I ran the first mile with a friend - Alicia which was a great way to start the race. I tend to start out too fast, but if I run with someone I do much better.

Coming in for the finish

 Doria finishing too :)


There was a good turn-out for it being a small local race, 231 people that registered. I came in 75th overall and 11th out of 26 in my age group. I'm not a fast runner. I was happy with my time though - 29:53, an 9:38 pace. I wanted to come in under 30 minutes and I did. I did not wear any tech. No GPS & no iPod. I felt like I pushed harder than 9:38 pace, but maybe the course length was actually a little longer. That's what I'm going to tell myself. ;-)

I didn't stick around after the race because I had to get going home to have brunch with my mom and Chris's mom. Overall it was a fun race and a good course and I will do it again since I try to do it every year!

This is the race's Facebook page: Mariner Mother's Day 5K FB Page and this is their website: Oceanside All Sports Boosters.

And now some mother's day brunch pics:


 

 




I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and enjoyed my race recap!

How do you feel about little kids receiving a medal or participation ribbon at fun runs?

What is your mother's day tradition?

                                                          xoxo,


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great race! Congrats on meeting your goal of breaking 30 minutes! Breaking that 30 minute barrier feels so good. Glad you had a great Mother's Day and that you got to share your race day with your little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I now am ready for my next and I'm ready to keep getting faster!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm a new reader! What a fun race, and congrats on making your goal - that's awesome! You got a lot of great pics and it looks like you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I was pretty happy about meeting my goal ):

      Delete
  3. Oh what a fun day! By the way, Elijah looks exactly like you- it's so evident in the first picture! SO cute! And girrrl I dont know how you ran a 5k without an ipod. That in itself is amazing to me, much less the actual running part and the coming in under 30mins, which is incredible:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think he looks a lot like me too :) Yeah, I don't usually run without my music, luckily I had some people to talk with a little bit, but then realized I could be running harder if I wasn't talking! lol

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting under 30! That is my goal for my next 5k! I think it's awesome that the kiddos got a 'medal' too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can do it!! I hope they continue next year with giving the kids something for participating. It is good incentive :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your time!
    That is one of my goals to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less!
    You rock girl!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete