Thursday, July 25, 2013

Firecracker 5K Recap

A little late I know. :-/

But as you have seen with most of my posts so far this summer, I have been checking in here rarely because we have been so busy!

The Firecracker 5k was a local race I participated in on Independence day this year. This was my third time doing the race. I did it in 2003 & 2012 as well. It was only an 8 minute drive to get to the start. There was also a kids Fun Run that was a mile long before the 5k started.

We got there fairly early and got registered. I received a race tee with my entry fee (only $10!!!). The kids fun run was free and it was first come first serve for the kids to get a tee. Unfortunately Noah missed out.

Pinning on the bibs


 My friends and I waiting to get started

 Noah waiting nervously

Poor guy was so nervous! I went over to him and
he said, "I don't want to do it anymore" in a really low voice.
I gave him some encouragement though and he was ready to go!

 Here he comes!


 Pretty proud of himself

I was so proud of him participating in this fun run. He has been doing shorter fun runs since he was 3. This was his first time competing in a mile long one. He did awesome and finished in just 9:11. I am pretty proud of him for that!

My little guy, Elijah, is not to that point yet so he stayed on the sidelines with my mom and some friends and watched his brother.
Entertaining my mom with funny faces


The temps were quite high - 90s - and the humidity was around 70%. Suffocating.

When the 5k started at 8:30 I started off next to a couple of my friends and then followed them for most of the race. I was trying to get under 29 minutes at this race.

Here we go!

It didn't happen.

It was so hot. However, I did do better that my time at the Mother's Day 5k this year. So I was happy about that. I finished in 29:43 which is a pace of 9:33. I was happy with that effort since it was that hot out.

End of the race; tired & hot


Now what would that have been equal to with perfect conditions? Maybe close to a 9 minute mile...

The support staff was great, the run was fun and well organized. At the end of the race there was a huge sprinkler set up and water was provided.

I love doing our small local races. There were only 237 participants - fairly big for our area - but so much fun, and you run into a bunch of people you know.



After the race we went and watched the parade. I was a hot sweaty mess, but spending that time with my boys was fun no matter what. Seeing the excitement they get from the fire trucks honking, the old rifles being fired, and antique trucks revving their engines was great.

Waiting for the parade to get started :)

 Looking at the civil war reenactors firing their guns

Sitting with my boys :) Got my race tee on!

Hope you enjoyed the recap!

Have you raced lately?

                                                                xoxo,

5 comments:

  1. Aww yay for noah!! thats so great he competed. and holy heat wave batman-- i give you credit for not PASSING OUT. looks like a great race and a great day over all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte :) He was pretty awesome! It was pretty fun.

      Delete
  2. Man, that is a great time for being so hot out! Looks like a fun event for you and your family to participate in. Congrats to your son on his fun run, I'm glad he ended up having a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki!I was really proud of him. He was so excited to hear his time was under 10 minutes. Maybe next time it will be under 9!

      Delete
  3. What a cool experience for your family! :)

    Congrats on a GREAT time! My goal this summer is to get to a 30 min 5K.

    And a HUGE congrats to your son! He had a great time as well! What a cool accomplishment for him (and a great time)! If I have kids, I look forward to letting them try running with us. What a great example you're setting!

    ReplyDelete